The following form the ideology of the Department:
Vision: Co-operation in the life of the people, that is to say ̶
- co-operatives will have been established at community level;
- ordinary farmers, artisans, workers, consumers and those in a state of deprivation will have been found involved in co-operative activities; and
- as an effect of co-operative activities, members' standard of living will have been raised up and up beyond the national line of poverty.
Mission: Regulation for 'co-operativeness', that is to say ̶
- co-operative values, principles and norms should prevail;
- co-operative processes should be instrumental in empowering the most disadvantaged member; and
- good governance should be maintained in co-operative societies and unions by way of members' participatory democratic control.
The following are the values of the Department:
- Mutual trust